Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) teaches students about these four subjects in an interdisciplinary way. Joining a STEM club gives students the opportunity to work on activities that teach them STEM skills in hands-on fashion. Club members work together to build things and come up with creative solutions to various problems. The problem-solving and collaborative skills learned in STEM club are used by students throughout school as well as in their adult lives.
The following is just a sampling of online resources that can help students in our STEM X club to further enhance their knowledge of these four subjects. Some of these activities combine a few or all of the STEM disciplines while others focus on strengthening just one.
- Easy STEM Activities for Kids - Discover a selection of easy STEM activities for kids that serve as a fun introduction to all four disciplines.
- NASA STEM Activities - Find a collection of STEM activities on NASA's website separated into each of the four subjects for kids of various ages.
- STEM Lessons for Kids of All Ages - Learn about STEM with exciting activities that focus on extreme weather, the animal kingdom, medicine, video games and more.
- STEM Resources for School Aged Kids - Check out some challenging STEM activities each with a transportation theme. Students learn how to analyze traffic patterns, learn about various items of traffic technology and study the shapes of our roadways.
- Science Bob - Choose from a large selection of science experiments, get your science questions answered, find some unique ideas for science fair projects, and more.
- Make a Catapult - Find instructions on how to make a catapult. This activity focuses on increasing a student's knowledge of engineering.
- Cloud in a Bottle Experiment - Students learn how to create a cloud in a bottle to enhance their scientific knowledge.
- Exploratorium - Check out a collection of STEM activities that encourage students to build things, predict outcomes, accurately record data and problem solve.
- BLS Information on STEM Careers - Peruse information on the types of STEM careers open to students after graduation and the growth happening in these career fields.
- BrainPOP STEM Activities - Enjoy a selection of quizzes, creative games, activities and other STEM resources for kids. Some of the activities on this website focus on computer programming, basic probability exercises, electric circuits and 3D printing.
- Ecology Facts for Kids - Kids can strengthen their science skills by reading about ecology, marine life, biomes and more on this engaging website.
- Build a Self-Driving Car Game - Find a plan to build a self-driving car game for kids who want to strengthen their engineering skills.
- A Group of Weather Activities - A selection of videos and games teach kids about hurricanes, tornados and other weather events. Learn what causes a thunderstorm, how to read a weather map and what the jet stream is.
- Science Experiments Inspired by Harry Potter - Check out some science experiments for kids inspired by some of the characters in the Harry Potter books. Find out how to make an 'invisibility cloak' and take a closer look at how the 'sorting hat' works.
- PBS Kids Cyberchase - Look at several fun problem-solving games and activities that strengthen STEM skills. The options include instructions on how to make a Coder/Decoder, how to build a wind gauge and guidance on making a nature notebook to take with you on a walk through the woods.
Our STEM X club is open to students in the Exeter school district. Our club advisors organize the members of STEM X into small groups so they can work with other students in the same grade level. This allows students to work on age-appropriate activities. In STEM X club, we make every effort to set our members up for success!